Translate

Thursday, January 26, 2012

The CGHub Production Challenge 2012

Just a pretty quick post to mention the contest for CGHub this year. I actually love CGHub as a platform for artists, it's one of the best out there, especially for displaying yourself in the hopes of getting paid work. I'm currently not very active there, though that's for the simple reason that it's incredibly intimidating, not because the people are unfriendly (they're more friendly than most places I've experienced), but because the standard of art on display is so high across the board.

With that said, if you're looking to challenge yourself, their contest is a great place to do so. Just take a look at last year's results to see what I mean:
http://cghub.com/blog/view/production-challenge-1-roundup-adrian-smith/

The concept for this year, is just as spectacular:

CGHub Production Challenge 2012 Concept
And in additional, this year they've added a 2D category, so (I assume) there's going to be a lot more diversity and challengers. For myself I'm going to primarily use this as a means to cut my teeth on/teach myself ZBrush. Here's hoping I manage to produce something respectable. You can find all the details for the challenge here: http://cghub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8942

In the meantime, I thought I'd share some of the WIP threads that caught me eye so far.

First up, Ricardo Luiz Mariano's thread: http://cghub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9085

Quite a lot done in a short amount of time. I like where the anatomy is going with the demon, it gives a nice impression of strength, the only thing I wonder about is the feet. In their current form/size they seem to take away from that sense of power and seem a bit clumsy. The greatest thing though is the amount of detail already put into the head and neck, the little nodules and textures definitely give it that born from sulfur feel.

Next is Renderluz: http://cghub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9056

Different approach with the demon in this one, far more slick and goblin-like. Just shows how varied the expression of the feel of the demon can be. Again I like where the anatomy of the demon is going, though the facial features on the woman seem a bit doll like to me. The part I like most is the use of such distinct hands for each pair of arms, delicate versus heavy. You can see the common anatomy, but can easily imagine their different purposes/uses/feel.

And now a 2D one from tiong1: http://cghub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9031

Not a lot to say here, but some great initial sketches. Good amount of variety, but you definitely get the common theme of how the two characters are close companions. Nice use of pose and composition to distinguish the nuance of that relationship, from one side of the spectrum to the other, from protective and child-like as in #7, to more equal and aggressive as in 4 and 5.

Back to 3D with Alex S: http://cghub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8982

Nice degree of detail on some of the smaller objects for the concept, like the skulls and a very impressive blade hilt. What really stands out for me though is the gesture and anatomy in the woman so far. Great living feel from her (even at this early stage), which I think is going to be one of the most important things for the final piece, especially in regards to being able to draw in the viewer.

And here we have Sinzalot: http://cghub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8959

I'm honestly not sure how I feel on some aspects of the anatomy, especially on the hands and stomach area, but it's still early days. What I found interesting and well done though, was the build up from a skull into the facial anatomy for his demon. Definitely adds to the realistic feel of it and ends up giving a nice balance between the sort of slick feel and gnarled feel seen in the other entries above. Emphasizes again how this concept can be interpreted all along that scale.

And finally, another 2D, this time from zigi: http://cghub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9091

Wondering if this piece may actually take the interpretation a bit too far from the concept, but at the same time, it's the reason it caught my eye. Very sort of old classic, almost barbarian-and-damsel-esque posing and feel to it. Nice impression of movement even at the sketch stage.

And that's it for now, I'll post my own work in a WIP thread and here at some point, but I'm taking my time so it'll likely be a while before that. Will also mention other threads to keep an eye on as I see them.

Again, if you're looking for a good challenge and a bit of fun, definitely join in. Good luck to everyone participating or thinking of doing so!

No comments:

Post a Comment